explore, Christopher

Oh, I been flying... mama, there ain't no denyin' I've been flying, ain't no denyin', no denyin'

Sunday

Homosexuality.

I care about the legal issues surrounding same-sex marraiges. Am I gay? No. Why do I care? Because I'm a citizen of this great country I buy into the belief that all individuals should be treated with a caring and unbiased attitude. At this point in my life my dream job would be that of a staff attorney for the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union).

On November 02, 2004, seventeen states' citizens approved measures banning gay marraige...and what provokes this post is something interesting I heard on the radio today. I am not Christian, and often take a position against organized religion of the sort. But in true fashion (and according to the beliefs of my grandma who is wise, in order to make oneself informed, you must take the time to take in both sides) I was listening to Christian talk radio (as I often do on lazy Sundays), most of time which provides me with a good laugh, but sometimes good insight. The perticular preacher I was listening to today had an interesting message, it was hidden within the usual religious rhetoric but it was there alive and well, and quite refreshing. That message was, Gays are sinners but so am I (the preacher) and my sins are no less forgivable than theirs. His message was one of acceptance and inclusion. He said, "we must include them, for they are our brothers and sisters, sinners alike."

And even though I don't believe homosexuality is wrong, but actually healthy for it's members, I agreed with his message and would hope to spread it. "He who is without sin should cast the first stone." Being only a spectator towards the Christian religion, I'd like to ask, where has the sense of inclusion and understanding gone?

-Christopher P. Peters -

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the preacher is casting his stone not at the sinner, rather at the homosexual. In my opinion his message has nothing at all to do with acceptance or inclusion other than the inclusion of such persons into an overall society of sinners, in which the preacher is admittedly a member. In the preacher’s view, if a homosexual being lives an exclusively sinless life, he should nonetheless be accepted and included as a sinner [not as a homosexual] and as such, forgiven for his sin [of homosexuality].

As to your question of where the sense of inclusion and understanding have gone? I’ll tell you where they’ve gone if you’ll tell me when they ever truly existed. Look back to the beginning of time, in both history as well as religion [in many cases they become one and the same] and tell me when any nonconforming sole has been accepted particularly within this great country of ours? Anyone assumed as atypical must be eradicated as they may imperil the normalcy of an otherwise flawless civilization/society, right?!

I’d rather ask, why does anyone care what the sexual orientation is of another? And/or how exactly does the sexual orientation of another effect anyone except the two people involved?

Finally, what ever happened to live and let live and love one another?

~MM~

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

face it, your gay.

8:16 PM  
Blogger bexala said...

Christopher...you find my site. :-)

Yea...I hear that it's going to be cold in Louisiana tonight....40 degrees. It's good for you that it won't go much below that. I'm already freezing up here. Wear those flip flops proud...I am.

Hope you enjoyed the pics of Em's fridge.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you're inspirational.
I just thought you should know.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home